Monday, May 30, 2016

Day 28 (May 30) Bike and Route Preparations

After a good night's rest, we woke up to a light drizzle.  I needed to find some replacement fuses for one of our power cords, so we took a 20 minute walk downtown to my favorite store in Heidelberg: Bauhaus.  It's very much like a Home Depot or Lowe's.  I easily located the fuses and purchased  them before we walked back to the Golden Arches where we were served the last breakfast meal for the day at 10:30.  We checked out of the Ibis and toted our luggage down the street to the light rail which took us to Kirscheim where our motorcycle was waiting for us.  

At Knopf Tours where the bike is stored, we met Joseph from New Zealand who was servicing his Dr650 for a ride across Asia towards home.  I found our motorcycle and noted that it had a new battery installed and was missing one of the throttle rockers I use to relax my grip.  Otherwise the bike looked ready to go with its brand new tires.  I remounted the panniers and top box as well as the front panniers and tankbag.  We sorted out our gear and then I spent the bulk of the afternoon resolving why my Win 10 tablet wouldn't connect to the WIFI.  In the end I found I had to remove the network device and have the computer rediscover it.  Then I had to resolve why my GPS would not connect to the tablet.  That turned out to be a USB cable that was only capable of charging and would not pass data between the devices.  By the time I figured those two items out, both devices needed to be recharged and could not easily be used, so I did manual route planning using paper maps the old school way.

Tomorrow we're riding to Hannau which is about an hour north away to visit the birthplace of the Brothers Grimm.  It's a city filled with lots to do and we may need to spend more time there.  I've got a twisty route planned that will take us along the Neckar River.  We'll likely see some castles.  Actually I know we will as we've previously taken a river cruise up the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment